With all the uncertainty surrounding events this year due to Covid-19, it may be impossible to have our normal AGM in October where the completed models exhibited are eligible for the Malcolm Hanson Trophy award. A decision about the AGM will be made at the end of September, but in case it has to be a virtual AGM, we have amended the rules (see below) for this year so that everyone who wants to enter a model is still able to do so.
For those members who have not shown a model at any meeting to date in person in February or at any of the virtual meetings so far this year (see the 2020 April pages 1, 2, 3 and 4, and 2020 July Virtual meeting pages 1 and 2) there will be an additional opportunity to show a model at the September informal meeting. All entered models will be available for viewing on a specific web page which will be a clickable link on the website front page when ready.
Not all members have been able to participate in the Zoom meetings but may have been busy completing a model which they would like to be considered for the 2020 Malcolm Hanson Trophy. In that instance, feel free to send pictures of it with descriptions to Steve or Dianne – and video too if you want (there are other ways to send video if too large for email) – and we will add it to the 2020 MH trophy page on the website for other members to see and vote on.
Malcolm Hanson Trophy rules – temporary during 2020 lockdown
- Completed Meccano models shown at any club meeting in 2020, actual or virtual on Zoom, will be eligible for entry to the competition. If you would prefer your model not to be entered, let the Secretary know – you do not have to give a reason.
- The Trophy will be awarded to the model voted best by email before the AGM in October. Votes must be sent to the Secretary by 7 days before the AGM.
- This competition is open to SWMC members only.
- Only votes by SWMC members will be counted.
- In the event of a tie, the winner will be decided by Committee members who are not themselves one of the two contesting finalists.
- Any model can only ever win the cup once; however it can be entered as many times as the builder chooses, under the above rules.
- The Malcolm Hanson Trophy will be ‘virtually’ presented to the winner immediately at the virtual AGM when it is won.
- The Committee will have the Trophy engraved with the winner’s name (and the year awarded) before it is presented formally at the next physical meeting.
- The winner will also receive a small cup engraved with South West Meccano Club, The Malcolm Hanson Trophy, their name and the year won, which they can keep permanently.